Happy Holiday Décor Tips
Posted By kdaigle on December 19, 2022
For those residents opting to enjoy holiday décor in their home this season, be sure to take note of the following “good neighbor” and safety tips below!
Good Neighbor Holiday Décor Tips:
- When carrying a Christmas tree into or out of the building, use a tree bag or tarp to prevent pine needles from dropping to the floors. Ask a staff member if you need to borrow a tarp. Promptly clean up any needles that might accidentally fall onto common area floors.
- Do display holiday decorations from inside your unit or on your exclusive use patio, but never in the common areas.
- Don’t hang lights or decorations from balcony railings or the exterior walls of the building.
- Wreaths may be hung from the outside of your unit door with an over-the-door hanger.
- Do remove all holiday décor visible from outside of your unit by January10th.
Safety tips for a happy and safe holiday season:
- Use only Underwriters Laboratory (UL) approved lights and cords.
- Use only approved outdoor lights for outdoor use and make sure they are weatherproof.
- Lights should be thoroughly inspected prior to installation.
- Miniature or indoor lights generate less heat and will not dry out the tree as much as larger lights.
- Always unplug all lights and blow out all candles before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Never use candles near trees or windows.
- If you choose to use a natural, cut Christmas tree, select only the freshest. Needles should bend, not break, when folded.
- Keep the stand full of water and check it daily.
- Keep the tree away from heat sources and heater vents.
- Remove the tree promptly after the holidays or once the needles begin to fall.